Friday, October 7, 2011

Guest Blogger--Our Urban Bungalow

A few of you have asked when I was going to do another house.
Right now, I'm up to my ears in finishing the one we have, but Holly has taken on a new project.
I think I'll just live vicariously through her for a while.
You can visit Holly over at Our Urban Bungalow for updates.

This is one Pretty Old House!


We Did it Again!
 That's right we bought another dump! I'm pretty excited about it too.
 It's another 1920's bungalow, with great bungalow features. Like the front porch - it's granite with neat trim details around the ceiling.

And the front door with beveled glass.


And the shelving that flanks the brick fireplace.

Some of the house isn't too bad as it is.
The original windows are mostly intact and the brass dining room chandelier is going to be great with a couple coats of spray paint (I'm considering something bright and bold - like green - I may be too chicken though).
The butler's pantry is also in pretty good shape, with the original glass and hardware.
Imagine the hardware stripped and the back painted a robin's egg blue, with silver and white dishes in front.  It makes me giddy to just think about it.
It's a good thing too, because that giddiness distracts me from this kitchen.
There are few redeeming qualities about this space - it will be gutted.
Oh, the back door is neat though.
I think it may become the bathroom door - with a frosted glass window.  I really want French doors back here to look into the yard:
It has 3 pretty standard bedrooms and this one bathroom:
... which has some salvageable pieces: the built-in medicine cabinet and the cast-iron bathtub are in great shape.  And the floor tile has a neat pattern.  It does still need a sink, toilet and wall tile though.
So that's pretty much it.  I'm so excited to chronicle this project as we go so stay tuned...
Holly

I'm excited, too--you know how I love bungalows with real granite front porches and how I relish the smell of fresh paint and elbow grease. While this one will involve an addition and lots of interior updates, it won't be even half as hard as the last one she did.  Take a look at her previous "project" here.
Like Holly said, "Stay tuned..."

Later,
Patti